PDA

View Full Version : How do you physically feel after a purge?

applepie91
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
-Sorry if this thread has already been created-

The severity of how I feel after a purge depends, but it's pretty much the same thing. I feel so exhausted and weak but physically uneasy at the same time. My hands shake too. Because I feel so tired it even feels uneasy to breathe. My heart pounds but my heart rate is really low, and I'm just generally in a state of 'don't know what to do with myself' because even lying down, I feel so exhausted.

Same symptoms with everyone or is everyone different?

--

oh, and do any of you eat or drink anything after a purge? I always drink some sort of hot tea, usually peppermint.

Lnsence
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I feel exhausted and relieved. It's like everything before the purge is a blur, eat eat eat then get it out as fast as possible so after I feel kind of dazed and the world is in slow motion.

And I don't eat or drink anything after. Tea sounds like it would be calming though

need.to.be.thin
06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
It depends, if i havent done it for a while i feel kinda high because my purges are usually quite good when i havent done it for ages. And if the purge is good i always feel quite good and proud of myself lol which is pretty fucked up.
But if im in a b/p cycle, i just feel exhausted, relieved, like you know when your really upset and you have a massive cry and get it all out then after you just feel tired but relieved? Like that. Just a bit out of it for a while. My hands usually shake too x

ashes-to-ashes
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Shaky, weak, blazing stomach pain, lightheaded, sick, exhausted.
And I feel relieved.

lostinato
06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I always feel dizzy and weak. I think that's part of the reason that things got so bad for me when I started out b/p because it felt like how I feel when I fast for a week, but I also got to eat. It is like being high on a fever. Shaky, dizzy, and weak.

lycopenelove
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
It depends, if i havent done it for a while i feel kinda high because my purges are usually quite good when i havent done it for ages. And if the purge is good i always feel quite good and proud of myself lol which is pretty fucked up.
But if im in a b/p cycle, i just feel exhausted, relieved, like you know when your really upset and you have a massive cry and get it all out then after you just feel tired but relieved? Like that. Just a bit out of it for a while. My hands usually shake too x

i feel like this too

SkinniesDown
06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Shaky, weak, blazing stomach pain, lightheaded, sick, exhausted.
And I feel relieved.

I feel like this, but w/o stomache pains. My stomache actually feels a lot better after purging.

The Aftermath
06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I always feel dizzy and weak. I think that's part of the reason that things got so bad for me when I started out b/p because it felt like how I feel when I fast for a week, but I also got to eat. It is like being high on a fever. Shaky, dizzy, and weak.

That's how I feel. Even when I only purge a little bit, my hands always shake and I get a little dizzy...and I love it. I love the feeling of being physically shaken up, like my body has been through something traumatizing (which it has I guess). It's so messed up. It's the only way I can really FEEL something and let it all out. Literally AND figuratively purging. :p

Oh and this is not physical, sorry, but I also become paranoid because when I purge it goes out my nose so afterwards, all I can smell is barf! I can never tell if the bathroom stinks because ALL I SMELL IS BARF. Does that happen to anyone else? lol sorry, TMI.

SkinniesDown
06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Oh and this is not physical, sorry, but I also become paranoid because when I purge it goes out my nose so afterwards, all I can smell is barf! I can never tell if the bathroom stinks because ALL I SMELL IS BARF. Does that happen to anyone else? lol sorry, TMI.

lol, YES. This happens to me often. So I carry around a body spray for myself and the restrooms I, ehem, "visit". I also keep a neutralizing odor spray thingy in my bathroom at home.

I've gotten into the habit of rechecking my bathroom at home 15 minutes or so after the purge and kinda, you know, doing the *sniff, sniff* biz.

ThatCat7
06-10-2011, 04:22 PM
I get a huge rush right when I purge. I used to cry during the whole thing but I dont now. Afterwards I have this full feeling in my head and burning in my stomach.

dish000
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
After purging I usually feel tired but in the that good kind of way like after workout. It's a buzz that erupts afterwards and make me lightheaded but not enough to interfere with anything I need to do after.

takeswildhope
06-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Same! It gets in my nose and it's all I smell. I keep thinking everyone else can smell it. I got a sinus rinse that I now do after I purge. The smell goes away a lot faster now.

applepie91
06-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Actually that's a really accurate description of how I feel too. Just like I haven't had anything to eat for a week. Just so weak and lightheaded.

misspixi
06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I usually feel super tired and empty and feel let down.....Not a nice feeling. I have started to not enjoy the food I am binging I think so that helps me feel let down I think coz I know it wasnt worth it.

bumditter
06-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I wonder how many calories I burn when I'm purging. It's always a big, long, ordeal, after all the work it takes my body to get the food up, I must be burning some extra calories there (sick, I know.. just curious though). Usually right after, I feel like im in some kind of state of shock, I just lay there, usually angry because I know I didnt get it all up. The following day, I always feel horrible and exhausted, I can never reach my high endurance at the gym and my day is usually shot.

applepie91
06-12-2011, 05:39 AM
I usually feel super tired and empty and feel let down.....Not a nice feeling. I have started to not enjoy the food I am binging I think so that helps me feel let down I think coz I know it wasnt worth it.

Totally understand this. Which makes me wonder why I even b/p because I'm not enjoying the food while I eat it. :/

misspixi
06-12-2011, 05:53 AM
its crazy to do it then huh what are we thinking?

Forest_Floor
06-12-2011, 06:59 AM
I start off feeling like anyone else, normal and optimistic. Then i tell myself to "hurry and get it all out asap". My head hurts loads, I feel like i've just come back from a huge party. Then I sometimes just sit on the floor for a while feeling high and stupid, like all my intelligence has gone

Chibi
06-12-2011, 08:48 AM
And I don't eat or drink anything after. Tea sounds like it would be calming though

Actually if tea is an anti diuretic which makes water leave the body, i dont think it would be a good idea after purging the liquids already in the body- you'd get dehydrated.
I feel shaky afetr purging but i dont physically shake- before when i purged my heart would pound so hard but now i think it take it less time to get back to a normal rhythm after purging so i feel a bit more normal. Except of course, theres the guilt, knowing that there must be some still in me that i didnt get.

Caged_songbird
06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
It varies massively, depending on how much I ate, how much I purged, whether it was easy or difficult to purge, etc. It’s sometimes completely unpredictable. If I have a medium-sized binge and then purge, I feel weak and tired and like I want to sleep but I have to wait a while because my heart is pounding. If I purge a larger amount of food, I feel relieved and calmed and like I literally just reset my brain. It’s like all the anxiety before purging is gone. If it was a good purge I feel really happy as well and walk around the house skipping and singing. If I have a huge binge/purge, I usually feel dazed and too weak to move and I won’t really remember what happened beforehand. My heart rate also plummets. Sometimes I can purge and I feel like nothing happened. Like I didn’t eat anything and I didn’t purge anything- as though my body didn’t even register what I just did. That can be useful if I want to concentrate, or it can make me angry if I want to feel physically weak and lead to more purging in an attempt to feel weak.

I usually drink water or tea after purging and it's a really good thing to do after purging so you don't get more dehydrated. I usually don't eat anything afterward because it might trigger more purging.

applepie91
06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Sometimes I can purge and I feel like nothing happened. Like I didn’t eat anything and I didn’t purge anything- as though my body didn’t even register what I just did. That can be useful if I want to concentrate, or it can make me angry if I want to feel physically weak and lead to more purging in an attempt to feel weak.

My symptoms are very similar to yours and I understand this particular bit completely! I always feel like I did something wrong if I don't feel anything whatsoever, even though I'm guessing it's the best outcome for my body. Even though I can't physically purge anymore, if I feel totally fine I get so paranoid and stressed.. :(

Ladyluck_
06-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Usually my body temperature goes up a little and my heart rate is faster. Sometimes I feel headache, my eyes are itchy (horrible) and I suddenly feel really tired..

soakedinchlorine
06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I feel like shit. I feel pathetic, yet I feel relieved. I feel weak. I feel dizzy. My heart flutters. My head spins. My eyes have trouble focusing. I am a shaky, triumphant warrior in a losing battle. I tell myself it's the last time. Ten minutes later, it happens again. And then my depression goes into overdrive (probably from an imbalance of somesort caused by the purging) and then I think about whether my life is actually worth it. It sucks. I hate it. and i want to stop, but I cant.

Becky_148
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
High and I mean really high I am so happy from maybe the light headedness? I get the heart racing fir a long time which worries me, but the addiction I have to the high, feel good I get is what makes it so damn hard to get better. Now the odd time I have even played music whilst purging so I can sing along, I understand this is strange but hey so is what we do.. X

Freaks.Rock
06-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Exhausted.. relieved (no more stress about the cals, esp if it was a massive purge).. and very very very sleepy!

Writer
06-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I feel oddly refreshed, mentaly, like I can start over, you know? Physically I'm dizzy and that's about it :P I have NO sense of smell, soooo I dunno about the smel!! :)

alm0ndmilk
06-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Usually I have a headache, my throat hurts, and my stomach has a sort of sharp pain for a while. And I have like, acidic burps. It's really uncomfortable.

littledeer
06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
like nothing happened, at all.

unless i purged bread or popcorn or anything like that. then i feel like DEATH

Thinnerthanthin
06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
If I throw up, weak, exhuasted, shaky but it depends how bad the b/p was. If I take laxatives, now that is painful. Stomach cramps like you actually wouldn't believe, its agony.

dancer05
06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
I usually still feel full no matter how much I purge (I usually only vomit). But I once had a very very bad purge that consisted of vomiting, laxatives, and intense running on the tredmill and ended with a blackout and seizure... It was scary. I was home alone.

Belleann
06-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Euphoric, sometimes tired, anxiety I've even had a few panic attacks but that's about it.

xjustholdmex
06-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Euphoric is a word I would also use to describe how I feel after purging. Before purging, physcially I feel really uncomfortable and my stomach will be so bloated and painful, I'll also feel frustrated and angry with myself. After the purge, I feel weak, tired and shaky. I feel so calm and much happier too. I like feeling light-headed. I've read a few times before that endorphins are actually released during a purge. So it's no surprise I might feel euphoric. I like purging which is probably quite dangerous! It makes me feel a lot better both physically and mentally.

This is going to sound so messed up...but I feel prettier after I purge.

leylusha
06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I never experienced the "high" feeling so many bulimics talk about, I always felt spent, disgusting, and burny afterward.

bmi10
06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
If it's an "easy" purge, nothing.

If it's a bigger purge, shaky and totally exhausted--and then high.

apparent.
06-25-2011, 05:45 PM
dunno, it definitely depends.

A very good binge and purge session can exhaust yet totally fulfill me for maybe half an hour until I start feeling a bit shit (about myself... more like, i approach earth and realise where i am and what i should be doing, etc.). It depends. The more thorough the purge (and more elaborate the binge), the better/worse I feel afterwards. if it's really 'good' (and i've defeated the odds of will i gain/lose/maintain if i b/p on thisthatheother right now), then i'm hollow and all... dunno, if it's really thorough it's nice to feel all fucked for a while, read a bit and fall asleep.

Most b/ps aren't anywhere near that good, though, 'cause free time/space and all that is, hah, lulz. Generally, these days (which makes me sound really old but i'm not xP), I just feel a bit disappointed in myself and like my face is ballooning up and my veins are exploding and it's kinda quite 'never again'. Once in a while, it can be quite good-ish, sometimes, but... Nah. Nah. Like right now, I just feel a bit... shit. Like I failed a test that I secretly cared about. ^_^

beautiful-exception
06-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I get the shakes and am supper light headed, but Oh boy! Am I so proud of myself.
I get so much instant confidence that the sun cant compare to my stupid beam of a grin. :D
I guess I'm always satisfied and stupidly happy afterwards.

xoxodaisy
06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
really tired, like i could sleep for days.sore,a little lghtheaded.

WishIwasYou
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
i always feel really dizzy and weak after purging.
i drink water, somewon told me that it keeps you hydrated after purging.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8