PDA

View Full Version : Calories absorbed from a binge

maramara
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Say I weigh myself before a binge, and then after purging I'm the same weight as I was before...
does that mean all the food is out? and did any of it get absorbed?

raven37
03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I've wondered that myself.

Milie
03-27-2011, 09:55 AM
So I actually just read about this on some other ED website, where it said that you obtain 50 % of the calories from your binge, eventhough you purge, this is because calories apperently are absorbed really fast.
Here's a link to the site where I read it. Scroll down to where it says "Purging does NOT prevent weight gain". It's a blue/purple box.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sydneylauren
03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
when you eat, immediately you're body starts taking what it needs from the food/cals. then once it's gotten all it needs it stores the rest away as fat (if you've eaten alot).
But it could take up to four hours for all the food to move through your small intestine and that's where all your cals are absorbed.
i very highly doubt you gained any weight though.

Maria527
03-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Simple sugars are absorbed VERY quickly. So it depends on what you've eaten, how long you waited before purging, and if you're actually able to get most of it up or not.

I can definitely tell a difference between bingeing on cheese/meats etc.... vs bingeing on sugar. I love to make huge bowls of butter cream icing or eat an entire tub of ice cream and a box of donuts. I usually do have weight gain afterwards no matter how much I purge. But when I eat binge on low glycemic (low sugar) foods, I usually lose or at least stay the same weight.

Ultimately, I've had virtually no weight loss from BP, but rather gain instead. Restriction is the only way I seem to lose weight. Well, I don't ever truly restrict because it only causes a B/P; but if I eat a reasonable amount of low sugar food, I will lose. I just can't stick with it... :-(

lilrclark9
03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Purging isn’t effective at getting rid of calories, which is why most people suffering with bulimia end up gaining weight over time. Vomiting immediately after eating will only eliminate 50% of the calories consumed at best—and usually much less. This is because calorie absorption begins the moment you put food in the mouth. Laxatives and diuretics are even less effective. Laxatives get rid of only 10% of the calories eaten, and diuretics do nothing at all. You may weigh less after taking them, but that lower number on the scale is due to water loss, not true weight loss.

from website above stated !

Cindyy
03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Purging isn’t effective at getting rid of calories, which is why most people suffering with bulimia end up gaining weight over time. Vomiting immediately after eating will only eliminate 50% of the calories consumed at best—and usually much less. This is because calorie absorption begins the moment you put food in the mouth. Laxatives and diuretics are even less effective. Laxatives get rid of only 10% of the calories eaten, and diuretics do nothing at all. You may weigh less after taking them, but that lower number on the scale is due to water loss, not true weight loss.

from website above stated !

I read this amidst a binge. I freaked out so terribly. No wonder why I was gaining weight, or losing very very little. I feel like I've wasted a year and gotten nowhere. Ohmygod....

Marvolo Gaunt
03-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Medical student here. Calorie absorption does not begin AT ALL until the small intestine. Read a proper meta-analysis of that "50% of calories study" and you will see how faulty it was. The reason why you gain weight isn't because you immediately start absorbing calories - it's either because you think you've finished purging when you haven't, or you're retaining water significantly. Binging/purging will obviously not help with weight loss, but the only reason why you will gain weight is ineffective purging/water retention. This "calorie absorption begins in the mouth" crap is absolute bullshit.

Marie
03-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Medical student here. Calorie absorption does not begin AT ALL until the small intestine. Read a proper meta-analysis of that "50% of calories study" and you will see how faulty it was. The reason why you gain weight isn't because you immediately start absorbing calories - it's either because you think you've finished purging when you haven't, or you're retaining water significantly. Binging/purging will obviously not help with weight loss, but the only reason why you will gain weight is ineffective purging/water retention. This "calorie absorption begins in the mouth" crap is absolute bullshit.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Marvolo Gaunt
03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Thank you thank you thank you.

No problem. Remember, b/p'ing is not an effective form of weight loss, and it might not always be possible to purge everything up (happens to me a lot, very frustrating), but it takes several hours until it's fully digested. Especially depending on the type of food.

zebedeelovesme
03-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Marvolo Gaunt is right.
The fact is that you will never get all the food up,
whatever is left travels through the intestine and is absorbed.
You could test this by not eating a day prior to a b&p then not eating a day afterwards, and if you still go to the toilet,
then you obviously aren't purging all the food your eating.
^^ this obviously isn't very ideal, but it's a good indicator.

helpimalive
03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

finally! someone who makes sense.
i'm sorry. but all the posts on this website drive me crazy when people say calories are absorbed instantly, or as soon as they hit your stomach.
impossible.
your stomach's sole purpose is to break down the food before passing through to your intestines.

lilrclark9
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
binging will never make you loose weight. if you've spent the year trying to loose, then binging would never be an answer even if you did purge

incognito
04-06-2011, 05:25 AM
im always more bloated after bp, i know its water retention. seriously though, bp doesnt help you lose weight at all, the only time i lose is when i restrict. im not really thin, im bloated with water, and have a puffy face. i hardly eat, yet im not skinny....theres only one reason for that = b/p.

doodle99150
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I beleive what Marvolo said, although I watched 'supersize vs superskinny' last week (UK health programme trying to enhance the diets of both an underweight and overweight person each week and also has a weekly bit about eating disorders) and on that they said that the average bulimic in a b/p will still absorb around 1200 calories.

I have been with MIA for nearly 3 years and it has definitely led me to put on weight rather than ever lose weight. I think if anyone is happy at their weight or wants to lose weight, then the only way to do it is to try and escape b/p. Thats what I am trying to do at the moment, but its obviously easier said than done.

Jane x

silver_elf
04-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Aye!! The numbers from that study are so fudged, they are an average that included one girl that purged up 99% of her binge, and a few girls that didn't purge at all. (and a few people in the middle)
So it really only depends on
1. how much food is left in your stomach (depending on time and emptying rate)
2. how much of that you actually throw up.

So the average will take into consideration those factors- some people purge right after a binge, some don't, some don't purge everything, some foods leave the stomach faster than others, etc. With an average it means some people will be higher and some lower.

Onewithwings
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
If I absorbed 50% of my calories and BP'd 7-8 times a day on high-calorie food (probably upwards of 8000 cals a day-- I was pretty bad) there is no way I would have lost 51 lbs in 3 months like I did in 07. I don't believe that at all.

twiggy
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I did gain from b/p, but I'm have a very low weight. I definitely can't get rid of all calories because my binges are huge and sometimes I'm just tired of throwing up so long.

sayingseven
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I find I only gain weight from b/ping when I get careless. If I'm very careful and stick to the rules I have, I will lose weight (and feel like crap in the process). Sometimes after b/ping all day, I'm so exhausted that I don't care quite as much about getting everything out. I just feel defeated and horrible. I think that's why a lot of bulimics end up gaining in the long run.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8