PDA

View Full Version : Personal Hygiene

war_with_life
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I am actually embarrassed to post this, but recently my personal hygiene has been lacking, by this I mean I go through days without brushing my teeth or having a shower. It almost happens by accident, I just suddenly realise I haven't done it. I seem to have a complete lack of motivation to take care of myself. Does anyone else find this happens when their depression is bad?:(

Tubby
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
i thought it was only me! i do brush my teeth if im going out, but when im stuck in, depressed/lonely/bored, i just dont :S i dont even have a bath everyday anymore. i dont let myself smell though.
i usual have a bath just so i can burn myself with the super hot water, and to pass time. when im busy, im not eating.

Nexttraintothemoon
02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Yea definitely.. if I have to go out then I make sure to brush teeth/wash a bit.. but if Im alone for days I just cant be bothered. Being in a relationship means ive had to make more of an effort with myself lately!

tosufferinsilence
02-21-2011, 12:11 AM
This happens to me too. I've suffered with depression ever since I can remember. One year of school, I didn't feel like brushing my hair, I was very young.. I did shower, but didn't brush it afterward, or when i got up for school. And now, on days I stay home, which has been quite often being without a car or any form of transportation or reason to go anywhere, I forget to shower, brush my hair, teeth, the works.. for days. It's awful when you realize you've forgotten, but don't be hard on yourself. Depression is hard to deal with, sometimes causing forgetfulness, mood swings, irritability, insomnia, hyper insomnia.. and in many ways I've come to find out, can cause you to make bad decisions.

cosmicpurple
02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I so want to hug you right now and I don't care if you brushed your teeth!
I'm having this exact same problem but I'd never dare to open a topic about it. It's like the others said: I'll do it when I have to, but I simply won't take care of myself FOR MYSELF. It scares me to see how little my body sometimes means to me, but the truth is that on bad days I already have enough on my mind and I just can't bring myself to do those everyday things. Especially when it involves taking care of the person I have become, since on those days I'm not exactly in a place where I love myself.

Colleen
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
If you can, force yourself to brush your teeth. I went through a phase when I was younger and very depressed where I didn't for a while, and I'm still paying for it now with the state of my teeth.

rowyn
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I have this problem, I don't forget I need to, I simply don't do it :( So my hair is greasy a lot of the time, my teeth are gross and my skin breaks out more than it needs to, I'm disgusting...

Ras
02-26-2011, 12:03 AM
I haven't brushed my teeth...wow, ever? No one ever told me to when I was little, and I don't see the point now, honestly. I never leave my house.
I shower something like once a month. I just hate my hair being curly THAT much that I refuse to shower until I start stinking up the place. Luckily, my boyfriend also hasn't brushed his teeth once in our 9 months of dating, and having lived together for over 3 months, I think the two of us have a grand total of...5 showers? Maybe. It's just pointless, no need to worry.

If you're not stanky, you don't need to clean yourself so much, imo! :]

XWillowX
02-26-2011, 08:03 AM
i dont keep myself clean either i go for days to weeks with out cleaning myself i also dont brush my teeth for ages my dentist has a go at me for it but i dont care

Jessicalynn308
03-02-2011, 01:15 AM
I was just having this same conversation with a friend on the phone a few days ago. Its not just you, we both hadn't showered in like a week. Personally I brushed my teeth earlier for the first time in days. Its like one of those things a lot of women do but never talk about because we are embarrassed.

slightlymental
03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Yea, I am so the same way. I brush my teeth maybe once every 2 weeks.. and I hate old things, so I have a hard time using a tooth brush that's been sitting there unused for 2 weeks so I have to go buy a new one like everytime I brush my teeth.. I don't shower unless I have to, sometimes my boyfriend has to pick me up and put me in to a bath when I am at my worst , because I literally feel like shit about myself anyway that.. I assume everyone else does to, so.. why does it matter.

minnie
03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
My depression is this bad also. I've had depression for years and was diagnosed with clinical depression last year. I honestly just don't care about anything - personal hygiene, going out, living life etc. It's somewhat nice to know that I'm not the only one that does this though.

madeofstars
03-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm a right tramp; I only bother with personal hygiene stuff when I have to see people. So I'll have cleanish hair for work (although sometimes I just tie it up), I brush my teeth before going out, and I wear proper clothes (ie. not pyjamas, hoodies, mismatched bits of crap that dont fit properly) when I'm out but give me a week at home with nothing to do and I don't even change my knickers sometimes.

Then again, I'm a bit rubbish at making myself look decent anyway, I never brush my hair and dont wear makeup and I cant remember the last time I shaved my legs heh. (It's winter. I wear tights)

So you are definitely not alone! I think if you're feeling rubbish about yourself and have crappy self esteem (as most ED sufferers do!) then you tend to think "why bother?" cos you'll just look crap anyway. Well that's my excuse!

longroad2happy
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
That's crazy! I thought I was he only one who does this! I just shaved my legs the other day for the first time in about three months (or four?), I also had a shower today for the first time in a week. I brush my teeth maybe three times a week ( if I remember) and I go for as long as I can without doing laundry. And its usually because I forget or I just don't care anymore. The only time I'll actually care is when I have to meet friends or I'm really starting to get gross...

Massive-Molly
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was the only one.

I haven't brushed my teeth in literally months. I shower maybe every four days? But that's because my parents nag me (lol, I sound like a little kid)

I've only shaved my legs once this year.

I also haven't changed my clothes in 4 or 5 days, now.

CryingAngel
03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Lately i've been a lot like this.
I shower every 3 to 4 days.

moon_light
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
That is SO me! I'm borderline afraid to brush my teeth or take care of myself. Showers happen every two to three days, if that, which is gross to a lot of people. The last time I brushed my teeth was ages ago (gross, I know). I hate looking in the mirror and doing my makeup. I'd rather just avoid my outward appearance all together.

So glad I'm not the only one who has hygienic problems. Phew! It always hits me full throttle during my depression. I thought I was just, well, gross... hate myself for it sometimes. Makes me feel better to know I'm not completely alone in this (:

takeswildhope
03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I have the exact same problem. When I'm depressed, I don't give a shit about taking care of myself. My teeth are so yellow because of it. I'm so glad I'm not alone with this.

helpimalive
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
i know it's cliche for me to say this, but i honestly thought i was the only one.
i hate taking a shower lately.
i go 3, 4, sometimes even 5 days without taking a shower.
i just...don't care anymore i guess?
i've become so lazy it's insane.

fluxus
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
yup i only shower every 3 or 4 days when my hair just gets absolutely disgusting. i'm not intimate with anyone, so i don't feel its necessary. in fact i rarely make any physical contact with anyone, ever. i totally neglect myself. i just don't care anymore.

mince et elegant
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
If I don't leave my house I don't brush my teeth or shower. It is awful. There are some days when I leave the house and don't shower it is awful. I feel so gross but I just don't even care anymore.

Dark Side
03-26-2011, 08:21 PM
My husband has commented many times on my odour....I'm a hag

leylusha
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm like one of those Sims you don't take care of so they begin emitting these green fumes and making choking gestures at arbitrary times.

HidingUnderCovers
04-01-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm like one of those Sims you don't take care of so they begin emitting these green fumes and making choking gestures at arbitrary times.

haha this! i love that game.
I dont shower much either, only when i have to leave the house, i just dont care and i hate having to look at my naked body erg.

Jiuliana
05-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm so surprised that there are so many people going through this like I am. I've stopped brushing my teeth (unless i'm going out or have purged), showering regularly (but i dont usually let myself smell), and i sometimes go for 2 weeks without washing my hair. I just have no will to take care of myself. Hugs to everyone going through this too <3

DanceInTheDark
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm a bit lax on these sorts of things too. I shower like, two or three times a week and I only shampoo my hair once or twice a week. I brush my teeth everyday but that's just because my mouth starts to feel funny if I don't and I can't stand it. All this started when I was in a really bad depression and even though it's not as bad now as it was, I still can't find myself to be bothered to shower daily, etc. Besides, I work with some very honest people and no one has told me that I stink or anything, and I'm sure they would if I did.

distances
05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
i take a shower every 2 to 3 days. too much effort.
i am trying to start brushing my teeth twice a day, though. usually just once during school days, and never on the weekends. why bother when i see no one or go nowhere?
my motivation to do anything is nonexistent.

Bipolar Barbie
05-05-2011, 11:28 PM
LOL

This may be my favorite thread on the internet. I just washed my hair for the first time in a week, and that's because I thought I was going to go out. If it weren't for ponytail holders, people wouldn't talk to me!

The funny part is that when I was in the shower cleaning my hair, it didn't feel clean enough so I figured it had just been too long so I cleaned it again. Then, when I went to condition it, I realized that I'd used the wrong bottle and accidentally conditioned it twice instead of shampooing. Not once, TWICE.

Imagine the grease!

to the lighthouse
05-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I feel so much less alone, as an attempt to combat depression i started this shower routine that took an hour and a half a day. But I gave up after 3 days and went back to only washing when i get really sweaty and only brushing my teeth when i have to go see people. Silly thing is though a few times I ran the shower when my mum told me i should 'pamper myself' but instead of getting in i just lay on the bathroom floor.

lauraunknown
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
this happens to me when i go through bad b/p cycles, i can't stand looking at my self naked so i just dont shower and if i need to go out ill just wash my hair in the sink. It's pretty gross but i honestly cant bring myself to do it.

sylphide
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Motivation just dies, and kills off personal hygiene with it. It's such a pain.

elementofblank
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
I think that this is very common with depression. I do it too.

When I was severely depressed in high school, my mom noticed that I stopped showering every day or even every other day. I often didn't wash my face at night. I wore the same clothes over and over.

During my most recent depressed episode, I had to have someone bathe me and dress me. I was too tired to move. I slept about 18 hours a day. It was a very sad point.

I feel like I'm wading through concrete and when I feel like that I just stop taking care of myself.

apparent.
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
To be honest, I definitely relate. In fact, I can find having a shower one of the most overwhelmingly difficult tasks to complete whilst feeling pretty fucking down. There's such a lead-up, it's all... too much. Where to begin, how to do it. Effort. I think it's quite common among depressives, though :-/

There was a point when I didn't have a shower for a very, very long time. :-|

I find it's easier if I write everything I need to do like little goals. Sometimes it doesn't work, but usually... While having a shower can still be overwhelming on certain days, I'm generally able to at least brush my teeth, clean my face and do the dishes. Music can be good, little steps, positive thinking... and stuff.

jEm
07-04-2011, 09:15 AM
ive been thinking about posting somehing like this for a while to see if anyone related and seems they do!
i brush my teeth like once a week at the moment, i dont know why i just dont do it! its kinda gross really. but i do shower everyday, i dont know why i cant brush my teeth everyday too.
at least now i know im not the only one..

high_voltage
07-05-2011, 12:54 AM
I can totally relate, when my depression is bad I just won't do anything for myself. I do always brush my teeth every day though, but showering and brushing hair can be not so easy to motivate myself to do!

citruses
07-05-2011, 01:48 AM
when i'm depressed, i'm exhausted from doing anything. but i still force myself to be hygienic... part of my ocd traits. i'm terrified of germs and smelling funny lol.

elzie
07-06-2011, 03:43 AM
It's very common with people with depression and eating disorders.

Everything becomes an effort. I'm now a proud owner of a bath everyday. for now. Sometimes I forget for days..

coco.
07-06-2011, 08:26 AM
yep, at the moment i am only washing/brushing my teeth when i am leaving the house, so about once a week. its gross but i really cant bring myself to do it most days :|

polyonymous
07-08-2011, 07:14 AM
This thread is a relief.

I exercise daily so I shower daily, but if I wasn't married I doubt even exercise would get me in there some days. I have trouble keeping up with brushing my teeth (forget flossing) or shaving or other tasks. I do them usually because I have to - before therapy or class or the store. But it's so much work.

astrophysics barbie
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
When I am depressive or really stressed, I sometimes forgo a lot of basic things like showering and brushing my teeth. It just feels like a waste of time. I feel gross but I just don't think about it. I'd be mortified if people found that out but I'm also terrified of smelling bad and usually I try to at least throw myself in the bath and wash areas that are... sensitive? And I keep personal cleansing wipes in my purse for that reason as well. Sorry if that's TMI. The rest of me I have a hard time caring about. I don't wash my hair unless it looks greasy... like maybe twice a week if that. My teeth must be those of a superhuman because even after 10 years of sporadic purging and rarely brushing my teeth, I have never had a cavity and my dentist talks all the time about what great condition they're in except for minor gingivitis sometimes.

That's gotten a little better since I started my antidepressant but I still go through phases like during finals week where being clean is the last thing on my mind.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8