PDA

View Full Version : Chew and Spit - How many calories absorbed?

DanceTheDream
06-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Hey everyone, hope you are all going well :) Basically, as the title says, I am wondering, what sort of percentage of the calories do you absorb/consume if you use the chew and spit method? For instance, say if you chewed a funsize packet of skittles, size 13.5g with 55calories, how many about would you put on? I am a sucker for skittles but I cant bring myself to eat them (well anything much but you all understand!) and I had a few the other day and felt so bad and guilty it was really hard stopping myself from trying to purge them. If anyone can advise me, to help ease the guilt when I mess up, it would be great thanks all xx

scarlettsupper
06-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I don't know exactly, but you have to be really careful with sweets. The majority of calories in sweets come from sugar, and suger dissolves very quickly in saliva. basically - chew/spitting sweets means you'll absorb a lot of the calories.

I don't chew spit as a rule because I think it's too risky and there is absolutely no way of measuring how many calories you absorb. It depends on the type of food, how much you chew at a time, and how long you chew it before you spit it out. Personally, I only chew/spit if I'm having to eat in front of people and just spit it out when they're not looking.
Unless you're absolutely desperate I'd avoid it.

DanceTheDream
06-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Thankyou so much for the quick reply scarlettsupper
Yes I don't normally do it veryyyy rarley just when I feel really dizzy sometimes and all 'heavy chested'
Will definetly take that all into account. I just need to sort out aswell how to go about a sleepover I have coming up :S
Its a party = lots of junkfood and they will really notice if I don't touch any

Tatiana
06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I think chew & spit with food like lean meat, et cetera is safer - but not very safe with any kind of chocolate or sweet, because it just dissolves immediately into calorie and sugar laden spit. I don't do it because I think it's too risky though...

mel_92
06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
I've never done the chew and spit thing because I get freaked out if I don't know how many calories I have, and like scarlettsupper said, there's no way of knowing how many you've consumed.

shayyy333
06-21-2010, 11:08 AM
NONONO!
I just passed my anatomy class with a 98, and we just covered digestion.
Carbs are broken down into simple sugars by enzymes in saliva.
BUT NOTHING is absorbed in the mouth! Besides possibly slight SLIGHT amounts of sodium that diffuse into the bloodstream.
NOTHING is absorded in the stomach either, except tiny traces (like, under 2% of the food)
Nutrient and caloric absorbtion occurs in the small intestine ONLY
So the only way you get any calories from chew/spit is when you accidently swallow slight amounts of food, or when traces of food in your saliva get swallowed.
If your VERY careful about swallowing then you should be fine.
I reccomend spitting everything, including your saliva, while c/s'ing, and then rinsing your mouth out after and spitting again.
Then that = 0 calories.

Julie
06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
i used to do it but then i read that it can actually lead to weight gain because when you have the food in your mouth like when your just chewing it your body releases insulin which has something to do with slow metabolism

neko_kitty_x
03-01-2011, 10:09 PM
ild chew it fast n spit it out or chew it in the corner of my mouth
I think chew & spit with food like lean meat, et cetera is safer - but not very safe with any kind of chocolate or sweet, because it just dissolves immediately into calorie and sugar laden spit. I don't do it because I think it's too risky though...

neko_kitty_x
03-01-2011, 10:09 PM
if u swollow little eatch bite like i do its ok :)

Renaissance
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Like Shay said, calories aren't absorbed in the mouth, but the small intestine. Unless you swallow what you chew, you aren't absorbing any calories.

minique9909
03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
NONONO!
I just passed my anatomy class with a 98, and we just covered digestion.
Carbs are broken down into simple sugars by enzymes in saliva.
BUT NOTHING is absorbed in the mouth! Besides possibly slight SLIGHT amounts of sodium that diffuse into the bloodstream.
NOTHING is absorded in the stomach either, except tiny traces (like, under 2% of the food)
Nutrient and caloric absorbtion occurs in the small intestine ONLY
So the only way you get any calories from chew/spit is when you accidently swallow slight amounts of food, or when traces of food in your saliva get swallowed.
If your VERY careful about swallowing then you should be fine.
I reccomend spitting everything, including your saliva, while c/s'ing, and then rinsing your mouth out after and spitting again.
Then that = 0 calories.

Does that mean that because laxatives stimulate your intestines, you actually don't absorb very many calories when taking them? Do you just poop it out before you get a chance to suck all the fats and cals in? :P

Renaissance
03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Does that mean that because laxatives stimulate your intestines, you actually don't absorb very many calories when taking them? Do you just poop it out before you get a chance to suck all the fats and cals in? :P

Laxatives don't work on the large intestine, they work on the small intestine, where calories have already been absorbed. They make you get rid of feces only, which is the byproduct of food you ate. You absorb just as many calories with or without laxatives.

minique9909
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Laxatives don't work on the large intestine, they work on the small intestine, where calories have already been absorbed. They make you get rid of feces only, which is the byproduct of food you ate. You absorb just as many calories with or without laxatives.

Sigh. :( Really? Maybe my metabolism isn't as fucked up as I thought it was. :P

wastemytimetrying
03-02-2011, 07:31 AM
This has really helped me as well.. I c/s quite a bit and always panic about the amount of calories I could have potentially had. Thank you shayyy333 (=

7dj83r8f78t4alf8